- Share out to give a part of something to a group of people
This presentation file is going to be shared out later after I finish the class.
- Shut up to stop talking, stop making a noise
Kids, shut up saying bad words or I’ll clean your mouths with soap.
- Sit down to (start to) sit
I let the grandma sits down. I can’t see her standing up in the bus.
- Sort out to solve a problem
I’m unable to sort this puzzle out. It’s too difficult for me.
- Speak up to talk more loudly so someone can hear you
Your voice is very low and I can’t hear you. Could you speak up, please!
- Split up to end a relationship
My bad friendship was not too good; We decided to split up.
- Stand up to (start to) stand
Relax your body and begin with standing up.
- Stay up to go to bed late
I have to cram and stay up.
- Take away to remove
Liz has taken the maggots away from her scalp.
- Take back to return something to the place it came from
It’s better for you to take the books back.
- Take down to remove (from a high place)
I’m too small and short to take the books down from the highest line of the shelf.
- Take off to leave the ground
It takes a long time for the plane to take off.
- Take off to remove (a piece of clothing)
Let’s take all your clothes off and swim in the river. No one can see you here.
- Take over to take control of (a business, etc.)
The uneducated woman takes over this company! I don’t believe it.
- Take up to start (a hobby, sport, etc.)
Taking up stamp collecting is a boring hobby.
- Throw away to put something in a rubbish bin
Can you throw this plastic away! It’s been there for 3 days and emits a smelly odor.
- Try on to put on (a piece of clothing) to see how it looks and if it fits
He spends an hour only to try cheap clothes on.
- Turn down to lower the volume of
I’m studying for the final test tomorrow. Can you turn the radio down!
- Turn off to stop a machine working
Turn the TV off and start studying!
- Turn on to start a machine working
It’s so boring, I’m trying to turn the TV on, but I realize that the electric has been cut off.
- Turn over to turn something so the other side is towards you
Time is over for this section, now you can turn the paper over.
- Turn up to increase the volume of
Hey, it’s my favorite song, turn it up!
- Wake up to stop being asleep
I’ve to wake up at 5 am every day.
- Wash up to wash plates, cups, cutlery, etc.
Kostya helps me to wash up after the big party. He’s very helpful!
- Watch out to be careful
Watch out! The snake is going to bite you.
- Work out to find the solution to a problem, etc.
I keep working out to connect my computer to the internet.
- Write down to write information on a piece of paper
Listen carefully and write the requirements down; It’ll not be repeated twice.